All youth planning to show OR sell livestock at the Dane County Fair must meet these species specific educational requirements:
- Complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) in-person or online
- Attend at least one education event related to the species they intend to show or sell
- Complete all training and submit education card and YQCA certificate by June 15.
- Submit YQCA certificate and education card online: Link will be available January 1, 2021
2020-2021 Approved Livestock Education Meeting List – (beef, sheep, swine) – coming soon
The dates on the list are those hosted or approved by the Dane County Beef, Sheep and Swine Education Committees for qualification to exhibit at the Dane County Fair. Youth must complete a minimum of one educational event per species in order to qualify to exhibit at the Dane County Fair. Other dates may be added when approved. For potential qualifying meetings not listed on the list/website, please contact a member of the Beef, Sheep and Swine Education Committees for pre-approval of meeting credit. It is up to the exhibitor to provide documentation (agenda, brochure, etc.)
Youth intending to show or sell animals at any number of fairs (both state and county level) across the state must have their YQCA certification. This includes, beef, sheep, swine, rabbits, poultry, cavies, dairy and goats.
YQCA is designed as an annual education and certification program focused on food safety, animal well-being and character awareness for youth ages 8 to 21. The program has been designed by extension specialists and national livestock program managers to ensure it is accurate, current and relevant to the need of the animal industry and shows and is appropriate for youth. Youth have the option to do the face-to-face training at any one of the YQCA trainings across the state or to do the on-line training.
YQCA Fees: The fee is $3.00 per person for a face-to-face training. For those wishing to do the online training at any time or any place, the fee is $12.00. Youth can test out of a YQCA level for $36.00 or $48.00 depending on age bracket – open to ages 12, 15 or 19 years of age as of January 1 of the current year. More information is located at yqca.org
Education Card and YQCA Submission Information
NEW THIS YEAR – How and when to submit education requirements:
- To qualify to show at the Dane County Fair with 4-H, FFA or other Dane County youth organization, youth exhibitors must meet species education requirements and submit proof by June 15, 2021 at 11:59pm by using the EDUCATION REQUIREMENT UPLOAD PORTAL **
- **Access to a Google Account is required to upload documents in the portal. This helps keep documents secure. Youth can utilize their school account or utilize a family account. If the youth does not have access to a Google Account, please email 4Hinfo@countyofdane.com for an alternative option.
- If showing in more than one species, youth must complete and submit the requirements for each species.
- If a youth documented more than one species on an education card, they will be asked to upload the same card for each species represented. To upload the education card, please save the document as a JPG, TIFF, or PDF. Youth can take a picture of the education card to upload.
- Contact the species Education Committee Chairperson listed to receive approval for educational opportunities not listed.
Education Requirement Upload Portal – Link will be available January 1, 2021
2021 Dairy and Livestock Educational Card – Coming Soon
Supplemental Education Form – Use this form if you don’t have a copy of the regular Education Card
Failure to submit the species specific educational card to the Dane County Online Submission Site by June 15 will make you ineligible to show your animal at the Dane County Fair!
Dane County Fair Meat Animal Sale (MAS) Information
The Dane County Meat Animal Sale is managed by the Dane County Meat Animal Sale Association. This association is an organization of interested persons whose purpose is the organization and operation of the Dane County Meat (Large) Animal Sale. This is an independent association and is not connected to the Dane County Fair Board, Dane County 4-H Leaders Association, UW-Extension Office or any other group. Contact Lauren Ace with questions 608-520-1578.
2021 Dane County Meat Animal Sale Participation Agreement – Coming Soon
2021 MAS Scholarship Application – Coming Soon
Beef, Sheep, and Swine Education Committee
The 4-H Beef, Sheep, and Swine Education Committees provide county-wide leadership for educational workshops and support within the project. Contact committee members with questions regarding educational meetings and support in the project.
Beef Committee Chairperson(s):
Jan Horstmeyer – email@example.com
Sheep Committee Chairperson(s):
Romaine Ace or David Ace
Swine Committee Chairperson(s):
Guide to Raising Healthy Sheep Fact Sheet (904 KB, 4 pages)
US Targhee Sheep Association (Read about a program to provide a starter flock of sheep to deserving youth)
Origins of Sheep (from Oklahoma State University)