Beef, Sheep, Swine
Dane County 4-H offers a variety of Livestock education activities and events. Check out the 4-H Calendar to find dates and times of events.
All youth planning to show Livestock (Beef, Sheep, Swine) at the Dane County Fair (DCF) must meet these species specific educational requirements:
- Complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) certification between 9/1/2022-6/15/2023 and upload certificate to the DCF online portal by June 15.
- YQCA is a national multi-species quality assurance program for youth ages 8-21 with a focus on three core pillars: food safety, animal well-being, and character development. There is a $12 fee for the online training.
- Attend at least one approved education event – list is available on the Dane County Fair Livestock Department Education webpages.
- Complete all training and submit education card and YQCA certificate into the online portal by June 15.
- If showing in more than one species, youth must complete and submit the requirements for each species.
- To upload the education card, please save the document as a JPG, TIFF, or PDF. Youth can take a picture of the education card to upload.
- The Dane County Fair education card upload portal link will be available in April.
Approved Species Events/Meetings
For potential qualifying meetings not listed on the Dane County Fair Livestock Department Education webpages, please contact a member of the Small Education Committee for pre-approval of meeting credit. After pre-approval, youth must provide documentation (agenda, brochure, etc), complete the species specific education card, and collect the signature of the event/meeting clinician or coordinator before submitting information.
Youth for the Quality Care of Animals –YQCA
YQCA is designed as an annual education and certification program focused on food safety, animal well-being and character awareness for youth ages 8 to 21. The program has been designed by extension specialists and national livestock program managers to ensure it is accurate, current and relevant to the needs of the animal industry and shows and is appropriate for youth. Youth have the option to do the face-to-face training at any one of the YQCA Trainings across the state or to do the on-line training.
YQCA Fees: The fee is $12 per person for the online training and $3 per person for a face-to-face training. Youth can test out of a YQCA level for $36 or $48 depending on age bracket – open to ages 12, 15, or 19 years old as of 1/1/23. More information is on YQCA.org.
Dane County Fair Meat Animal Sale (MAS) Information
The Dane County Meat Animal Sale is managed by the Dane County Meat Animal Sale Association. This association is an organization of interested persons whose purpose is the organization and operation of the Dane County Meat (Large) Animal Sale. This is an independent association and is not connected to the Dane County Fair Board, Dane County 4-H Leaders Association, UW-Extension Office or any other group.
Beef Weigh In/Tag In was held on January 7, 2023. Contact DaneCountyMeatAnimalSale@gmail.com if you have questions.
Beef, Sheep, and Swine Education Committee
The 4-H Beef, Sheep, and Swine Education Committees provide county-wide leadership for educational workshops and support within the project. Contact committee members with questions regarding educational meetings and support in the project.
Beef Committee Chairperson(s):
Jan Horstmeyer – email@example.com
Sheep Committee Chairperson(s):
Romaine Ace or David Ace
Guide to Raising Healthy Sheep Fact Sheet (904 KB, 4 pages)
US Targhee Sheep Association (Read about a program to provide a starter flock of sheep to deserving youth)
Origins of Sheep (from Oklahoma State University)