Cavies, Poultry, Rabbits
All youth planning to show or sell a small animal (cavies (guinea pigs), poultry, rabbits) at the Dane County Fair must meet these species specific educational requirements:
- Complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) in-person or online
- Attend at least one education event related to the species they intend to show or sell
- Complete all training and submit education card and YQCA certificate by June 15
- Submit YQCA certificate and education card online: https://go.wisc.edu/gg442d.
The dates and events listed are those hosted or approved by the Dane County Small Animal Education Committee for qualification to exhibit at the Dane County Fair. Youth must complete a minimum of one educational event in order to qualify to exhibit at the Dane County Fair. Other approved dates will be added to the Dane County 4-H website under Projects.
For potential qualifying meetings not listed on the list/website, please contact a member of the Small Animal Education Committee for pre-approval of meeting credit. It is up to the exhibitor to provide documentation (agenda, brochure, etc.) regarding the event for approval. After pre-approval, youth must complete the species specific education card and the card must be signed by the event/meeting clinician or coordinator before submission.
YQCA – Youth for the Quality Care of Animals
YQCA is designed as an annual education and certification program focused on food safety, animal well-being and character awareness for youth ages 8 to 21. The program has been designed by extension specialists and national livestock program managers to ensure it is accurate, current and relevant to the needs of the animal industry and shows and is appropriate for youth. Youth have the option to do the face-to-face training at any one of the YQCA Trainings across the state or to do the on-line training.
YQCA Fees: The fee is $3 per person for a face-to-face training. For those wishing to do the online training at any time or anyplace, there is a $12 fee. Youth can test out of a YQCA level for $36 or $48 depending on age bracket – open to ages 12, 15, or 19 years old as of 1/1/20. More information is on YQCA.org.
Education Card and YQCA Submission Information
NEW THIS YEAR – How and when to submit education requirements:
- To qualify to show at the Dane County Fair with 4-H, FFA or other Dane County youth organization, youth exhibitors must meet species education requirements and submit proof by June 15, 2020 at 11:59pm by using the EDUCATION REQUIREMENT UPLOAD PORTAL **
- **Access to a Google Account is required to upload documents in the portal. This helps keep documents secure. Youth can utilize their school account or utilize a family account. If the youth does not have access to a Google Account, please email 4Hinfo@countyofdane.com for an alternative option.
- If showing in more than one species, youth must complete and submit the requirements for each species.
- If a youth documented more than one species on an education card, they will be asked to upload the same card for each species represented. To upload the education card, please save the document as a JPG, TIFF, or PDF. Youth can take a picture of the education card to upload.
- Contact the species Education Committee Chairperson listed to receive approval for educational opportunities not listed.
Failure to submit the species specific educational card to the Dane County Online Submission Site by June 15 will make you ineligible to show your animal at the Dane County Fair!
Small Animal Education Committee
The 4-H Small Animal Education Committee provides county-wide leadership for educational workshops and support within the project. Contact committee members with questions regarding educational meetings and support in the project.
Small Animal Education Committee member contact information:
Ron Rogers 608-886-2046 firstname.lastname@example.org
Kendall Rodgers 608-609-7399 email@example.com
Jennifer Monarski 608-515-3452 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mitchell Schleicher 608-577-6566 email@example.com
Laura Johnson 608-444-5671 firstname.lastname@example.org
Chad Xander 608-333-5192 email@example.com
Greg & Betty Wolff 608-712-7335 firstname.lastname@example.org
Cynnthia Majors-Culp email@example.com
MaryEllen Karls 608-219-1694 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dane County Small Animal Market Sale Scholarship
Current Dane County 4-H or FFA members who have participated in the Small Animal Sale during 12th or 13th grade are eliglible. Scholarships will be awarded based on the profits of the Small Animal Sale. Application deadline is June 15 of the current year.
Dane County 4-H Office and Information
Raising Ducks as a 4-H Project
Raising Range Fed Chickens as a 4H or FFA Project
Raising Roasters and Broilers
Raising Turkeys as a 4-H Project
Show and Sale Information:
Small Animal Market Projects
Rabbit Showmanship Score Sheet
Poultry Showmanship Score Card
Steps in Preparing Auction Product for Buyer
Small Animal Market Sale Day
Label the Turkey
Drug Withdrawal Form
Check in Procedures
Immediately After Sale