4-H is the nation’s largest youth development and empowerment organization. 4-H programming aims to engage youth in activities to increase their leadership, communication and critical thinking skills. Our programs center on the 4-Hs—head, heart, hands and health. This is the foundation for everything we do.
4-H has volunteers who serve as mentors for 4-H youth. They help provide a safe, engaging place for youth to take risks, practice their independence and master new skills.
4-H does not have specific membership requirements. All youth from Kindergarten through Grade 13 are welcome to join. Unlike other clubs 4-H does not divide activities by gender and we offer graduated experiences to youth in different “ages and stages” of development. Whatever you love to do, you can find it here.
Joining 4-H can be as simple as attending one of our events or a club meeting with a friend who is already a member of 4-H. Club meetings are open to the public. We’re happy to have you!
Dane County has many 4-H Clubs to choose from – check out this list to find a club in your area:
Dane County 4-H Clubs and Projects 2020-2021
Interested in Joining 4-H, but need more information?
If you’re looking for a club experience, your first step is to talk with a 4-H educator to share your interests and learn which club or program fits best fits. Start that conversation by filling out our Dane County 4-H Interest Form
Know your preferred club and ready to sign up?
4-H Online is our easy tool for getting registered as a member and becoming affiliated with a club.
Not a kid? Want to Volunteer?
Volunteers help make 4-H possible. Extension volunteers work with staff to deliver educational programs using University and other high-quality educational resources. Share your interest by filling out our Dane County 4-H Interest Form
- Your family login will be the same as you used last year in 4HOnline. If your password does not work, click on the Reset Password link on the login page and you will be emailed a new one.
- Use the Family Enrollment Guide if you have any questions during the enrollment process.
- Youth will need to choose projects at the point of enrollment. Please review the list of 4-H Projects available in Dane County ahead of time with your youth. Their project list will not carry over from last year, but is available in the member’s history.
- Adding/deleting projects after enrollment approval will need to be done through the 4H Office. Please send any adjustment information to 4Hinfo@countyofdane.com. (A future update should allow members to do this.)
- A few 2020-2021 4-H project area enrollment notes:
- Model Horse is found under Horseless Horse:Model Horse
- Foods & Nutrition (1-4) and Food Preservation (1-3) members should register for only one level
- Crops (1-5) members can register for more than one crops project
- Shooting Sports members must register the specific shooting sports disciplines
- If a birthdate needs to be updated, please contact 4Hinfo@countyofdane.com.
- Adult Volunteers:
- If your birthdate is wrong, please send the correct birthdate to 4Hinfo@countyofdane.com and a staff member will update the database.
- To choose a local club, you must choose at least one Club Volunteer role. See attached for the Dane County Volunteer roles and choose appropriately. Reach out with questions.
- For Club Project Leaders – choose these two roles from the Volunteer dropdown:
- Club Volunteer > Club Project Leader, then choose club
- Project Volunteer > Project Leader, then choose projects you will lead
- For new volunteers: an email regarding background check information will be prompted with your enrollment, Mandated Reporter Training is available in 4HOnline under Trainings, VIP training registration information is available on the Volunteer Resource page.
Dane County 4-H County Member Enrollment Fees
This year has been extraordinary and the Dane County 4-H Leaders Association understands that the pandemic may have caused financial stress on some families. In response, the Board voted to use some of the funds from a one-time Dane County contract to support 4-H families and youth membership dues. The Dane County 4-H Leaders Association Board of Directors has determined that for the 2020-2021 club year, members will be assessed fees as follows:
2020-2021 Dane County 4-H Membership Dues
|Amount Club Billed||4-H Leader Association Pays||Total Fee|
|Youth Member (3rd-13th grade)||$10||$10||$20|
|Youth Member registered in Horse Project||$11||$10||$21|
|Cloverbud (K-2nd grade)||$0||$3||$3|
|Adult Volunteer registered in Horse Project||$6||$0||$6|
Individual clubs collect enrollment dues from members and write one check for members enrolled by December 15. Members who enroll after December 15 will need to send fees to the 4-H Office, 5201 Fen Oak Dr, Suite 138, Madison, WI 53718 before the enrollment will be accepted into the database.
In the event that a member/volunteer is unable to pay, please contact the Dane County 4-H Office. The Dane County 4-H Program is open to all regardless of the ability to pay. 4Hinfo@countyofdane.com or 608-224-3705
Interested in reinvesting in 4-H?
This year, the Dane County 4-H Leaders Association has made a commitment to developing County Wide Project Resources that all members can access. This includes supplies/project boxes that clubs can check out, virtual learning opportunities, and curriculum.
To make this happen, Dane County 4-H needs your help! Donations are needed to purchase curriculum and supplies. If you are interested in making a monetary donation, you can do so at the same time you are paying enrollment dues. If you would prefer to donate an in-kind donation, a list of items needed will be available soon.
Enrollment Fees paid to the Leaders Association help to offset the costs of:
- Record book covers and forms for all members
- Dane County 4-H Camp program
- Educational resources for committees
- Liability and Accident insurance for all members
- Extra insurance for Horse and Pony members/leaders
- Educational Experiences for youth members
- County-wide award pins and certificates
- 4-H Foundation Support
- Other items as approved by the Dane County 4-H Board of Directors
Reach out for more information on club contact information – 4Hinfo@countyofdane.com or 608-224-3705
Enrollment Web Site: https://wi.4honline.com
Additional Enrollment Materials
WI 4-H Family Enrollment Guide
4-H Dane County Project Guide with Supplements 2020.2021
How to Edit Projects in 4HOnline after Enrollment
Dates to Remember
Record Book Materials Order Form
Financial Assistance Request for Enrollment Fees
Community Service Project Ideas
Upcoming Trainings/Events – check back for updates
New Family Orientation
In the event that a member/leader is unable to pay the club enrollment fee, please contact the Dane County 4-H Office. The Dane County 4-H Program is open to all regardless of the ability to pay.