Extension Dairy Programming 2021 James W Crowley Summer Internship
UW Division of Extension is looking for team-oriented, creative, good communicator, and proactive student with a background in livestock production. The successful candidate should be a self-starter, reliable, and detail oriented.
Interns will help to develop educational programming offered for dairy farmers in Dane County. Interns interested in extension dairy programming will be able to be part of development of educational programming focused on improving milk quality and animal health.
This is a great opportunity to gain experience working with farmers, consultants, and other ag-professionals to help support the dairy industry in Wisconsin. Work completed in this position will provide the intern with experience that will be valuable contributions to their portfolio for future career pursuits. For additional information e-mail email@example.com
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Dairy, Animal, or Biological Sciences
- Proficiency in computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- Exhibit a professional, friendly demeanor and ability to work with various audiences
- Assist with assessing and understanding community needs by engaging in person-to-person meetings with farmers, attending trainings and/or workshops focused on agricultural business, reviewing relevant literature. When in-person meetings are not possible, student will conduct virtual meetings.
- Develop and teach or lead an activity (within a program area) under the supervision of an extension educator during his/her internship.
- Assist with development and organization of effective programming to improve milk quality and animal health in dairy operations in Dane County.
- Assist with assessment of milk quality in dairy operations by learning relevant aspects about somatic cell count, and milking routine, among others.
- Internship field supervisor: Maria Jose Fuenzalida
- Location: Weekly, the intern will work for up to 12 hours per week in the Dane County Extension Building or out working with farmers. Access to transportation to get to the office and farms is required.
- Compensation: $16.68/hour for a total of 195 hours.
- Availability: May 17 to August 6, 2021.
- Resumes: Submit to Maria Jose Fuenzalida at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions: Contact Maria Jose Fuenzalida at 608-224-3708 or email her at email@example.com