The high cost of higher education

In 1976, the average undergraduate resident tuition at UW System 4-year campuses was $556 per year. That covered 24.5% of the annual cost of $2,457 per student. The state of Wisconsin tax payers paid the remaining $1,703, or 75.5% of the total cost.

By 2009, the annual cost of educating an undergraduate student int he UW System had risen to $10,013 per student. What percentage of the cost was covered by resident tuition in 2009?

A. 60.2%
B. 46.3%
C. 60.2%
D. 75.1%


C. 60.2%

In 2009, undergraduate tuition at UW System 4-year campuses average $6,031 , or 60.2 percent of the total average cost per student. Wisconsin taxpayers paid the remaining 39.8%.

In 1976, a student working at minimum wage had to work 264 to earn a year’s tuition. In 2009, a student working at minimum wage needed to work 832 hours to earn a year’s tuition.

Questions? Comments? Want step-by-step instructions? Contact Bill Pinkovitz.