Updated for the 2018 tax year
Frequently asked questions
Presenting the information on this site in different formats.
- Get the Credit You Deserve (chart for eligibility) ¡Obtenga el crédito que se merece! (chart for eligibility in Spanish)
- Earned Income Credit – fact sheet #1
- Earned Income Credit – fact sheet #2
Other outreach materials
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities – extensive outreach materials for the federal EITC, Child Tax Credit, and Child and Dependent Care Credit.
- Translated materials from the national campaign
- eitcoutreach.org. has a simple online calculator for an estimating potential EITC, based on earnings, marital status, and number of qualifying children.
Tax forms and publications
**Note: Links to tax preparation information are to external websites that may not yet be updated; read those sites carefully to be sure the information is current**
- VITA sites in Wisconsin. Sites provide free tax assistance from IRS-trained volunteers. Link provides information about VITA hours and locations.
- Taxpayer Counseling for the Elderly sites in Wisconsin. Sites provide free tax assistance for the elderly, as well as for persons eligible for the Earned Income Credit or the Homestead Credit. Information on site locations is also available by phone from the AARP at 1-888-227-7669.
- Free electronic filing of Wisconsin tax returns is available through the Wisconsin DOR.
- Other electronic filing options are available for filing federal taxes. Fees vary by company.
- IRS taxpayer education (414) 297-3302 – information on VITA program, IRS outreach assistance
- IRS hotline 1-800-829-1040 – individual tax questions
Statistics on use of tax credits in Wisconsin
- Information on use of the Wisconsin EIC at the county level from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue, Division of Research and Policy dated October 15, 2013.
- Wisconsin’s Earned Income Tax Credit Helps Keep Rural Families Out of Poverty, from Wisconsin Budget Project
- Information about the Homestead Credit, from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue
- The ACCESS website, where you can check your potential eligibility for various health and food-related benefits
- Information about the Earned Income Credit, from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue
This website is an educational resource only. For specific tax questions, seek professional tax assistance or contact an IRS Technical Assistance Center or call the tax hotline at 800-829-1040.
Last modified on 1/11/2019