The University of Wisconsin—Madison, Division of Extension
UW—Madison Division of Extension and the Center for Financial Security offer coaching training programs throughout the year. University of Wisconsin trainers deliver these 2-day workshop on skills and strategies for financial coaches. The workshop is designed as an introduction to financial coaching and can also be used as a refresher to practice and advance coaching skills. A registration fee of $245 covers the 2-day training event; materials, lunch & refreshments included.
2020 A|4 Financial Coaching Training:
CANCELLED: October 13-14, 2020 (9:00am-4:00pm both days)
Employ Milwaukee: 2342 N. 27th Street | Milwaukee, WI 53210
June 2020: The trainers are currently exploring options to host a virtual financial coaching session in 2020. Please check this webpage regularly for updates.
In order to participate in the UW—Madison training:
• Participants are expected to have a general knowledge of financial education in order to successfully complete this financial coaching training. Basic money management topics will not be covered in this workshop.
• Participants are expected to attend and complete both days of this workshop. Following the workshop, participants will receive 1.2 Continuing Education Units.
The A|4 2-Day Workshop Includes:
- Coaching Definitions & Distinctions
- A|4Coaching Model and Framework
- Foundational Coaching Skills
- Creating a Road Map for Financial Well-Being
- Strategies for Goal Attainment
- Working with “Stuck” Clients
- Increasing Client Motivation
- Structuring Coaching Sessions and Follow-up
- Demonstration & Practice
- Coaching Toolkit
- National Financial Coaching Resources
- Evaluation Strategies
A list of other financial coaching training opportunities is listed in alphabetical order below. A webinar focusing on five widely utilized financial coaching trainings is available for viewing [link]. A brief on financial coaching training opportunities is also available with an inventory of training opportunities [link]. A training rubric of key financial coaching training components is also available [link]. If you know other financial coaching training opportunities that should be listed here, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education® (AFCPE®) AFCPE has partnered with Sage Financial Solutions to implement standardized, comprehensive financial coach training programs.. This partnership brings a unique and integrated approach and builds upon core counseling and financial content required for the Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC®) certification. This training provides in-depth skills and techniques necessary to be an effective financial coach professional. Trainings are designed to meet various professional needs ranging from introductory to advanced programs. Through this partnership, AFCPE is now offering the financial coaching certifications, Financial Fitness Coach (FFC) and Certified Personal Financial Coach (CPFC).
Upcoming Trainings: Contact AFCPE® and Sage Financial Solutions. The Coaching Essentials training may be taken as a stand-alone professional development course or as part of the FFC® certification program.
Financial coaching is not a replacement for financial counseling or planning but a way of working with clients to support them in taking charge of their financial choices. Our training provides a clear process, with a focus on mastery of coaching skills allowing each individual to bring their own unique personality and expertise to the coaching relationship.
For questions about the program, please contact our Certification Program Coordinator, Ashlee Abraham, email@example.com.
CNM Ingenuity, Inc. at Central New Mexico Community College
CNM Ingenuity Inc. offers trainings on money and career coaching through its Workforce Training Center. Through CNM’s Financial Coaching and Career Coaching training programs, participants learn how to coach individuals towards their financial and career related goals. Each training program integrates coaching skills along with information specific to each subject matter. CNM trainers travel around the country to provide place-based trainings.
- Financial Coaching Five Day Training. Financial coaching helps individuals develop economic goals and make behavior changes to achieve them. Participants develop their own action plans defining how these goals will be reached.
- College Coaching. This training is designed for professionals who work with students in high school through college. It covers coaching skills and strategies using college access and success content. Basic financial content related to financing college is included.
- Career Coaching Two Day Training. The career coaching/job development training covers basic coaching skills and techniques and “best practices” for job development.
Click here to view upcoming Financial Coaching trainings through CNM.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (505) 224-5210.
The Financial Clinic
The Financial Clinic of New York City has trained over 1,900 practitioners from more than 260 organizations nationwide. Its methodology is housed in Change Machine, an online financial coaching platform that empowers front-line staff and organizations to deliver financial coaching services and results. Built for practitioners by practitioners, Change Machine is:
- An unconventional tool that brings financial coaching to life.
- The field’s first Community of Practice connecting professionals on the front lines to peers and experts.
- Steeped in field-tested, rigorously evaluated, gold standard framework.
- Designed to fuel continuous quality improvement.
Change Machine is a step-by-step guide for financial coaching that features action plans, tools, worksheets, and financial education materials—designed to help social service providers and practitioners provide high-quality, outcomes-oriented financial development services. Used by the Clinic and customized for many nonprofits, Change Machine serves as a blueprint for financial coaching as well as an effective training curriculum, data collection framework, and professional development tool. The training cultivates coaching skills to support customers to address both individual and families’ immediate financial challenges and help them create trajectories for long-term goals and financial mobility.
Institute of Coaching – An Opportunity for Continuing Education
The Institute of Coaching at McLean Hospital, a Harvard Medical School Affiliate, is an excellent resource for professional development. The members-only section of the website provides webinars, teleclasses, in-depth learning modules, access to coaching journals, and more. The Institute also holds an annual coaching conference and provides grants to researchers. The annual membership fee is $199. CEU’s are available from the International Coaching Federation, as are CPD Clock Hours for the Association of Coaching. Regardless of one’s interest in CEU’s or CPD hours, the Institute offers in-depth resources that can help coaches stay current on new developments in the field.
NeighborWorks America offers financial coaching trainings through its Training Institutes, which are held multiple times throughout the year in cities across the US. Click here for more information about upcoming trainings. Course titles include “Financial Coaching: Helping Clients Reach Their Goals” and “Advanced Financial Coaching: Taking Your Practice to the Next Level.” NeighborWorks also offers place-based trainings.
Sage Financial Solutions
Sage Financial Solutions provides financial coaching training to organizations seeking to increase their staff’s capacity. During the training, participants discover and practice using coaching fundamentals, skills and tools. Participants are introduced to a range of key financial content topics – debt/credit, savings/investing, etc. – and learn how to effectively coach clients in these areas. Visit their website for more information or to complete a training request form, or contact email@example.com