Artificial Insemination (AI) has been a powerful tool in the agriculture industry for many years. AI allows producers to improve the genetic progress of their herd by using top quality sires from around the world. A goat Artificial Insemination course will be held on June 19 and June 20 at the Fond du Lac County Fairgrounds, located in Fond du Lac, WI. The course will be taught by leading goat AI company, BIO-Genics, of Salmon, ID.
What Will I Learn?
The course will focus on management and effects on AI success, basic male and female goat anatomy, proper AI procedure, semen handling and storage, and record keeping. The course will be a two‐day program with classroom and hands‐on experience. It is our class goal to teach participants AI breeding skills resulting in a pregnancy, and hopefully kids from the breeding.
Location: Fond du Lac County Fair Grounds
520 Fond du Lac Ave.
Fond du Lac, WI 54935
Date: June 19 – June 20, 2019
Time: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm (both days)
Cost: $285 per person
Course space is limited and class will fill on a first come, first served basis. A $100 non-refundable deposit is due by May 10 and full payment is due by May 28, 2019.
What do I get for my $285?
- Two days (18 hours) of instruction time with the goat artificial insemination specialist
- Estrus synchronization instructions from the specialist
- Time to practice your technique on a synchronized doe or two
- Convenient Wisconsin location
- Two days to ask any questions that you have about goat artificial insemination
- Lunch and refreshments both days
- One on one time with the instructor to ensure correct technique is being applied
- Relevant hand-outs to aid in learning
To learn more details about the course or sign up, view the Registration FormTake me to the 2019 Goat AI Clinic Registration Form.
Finding the Fairgrounds
View a fairgrounds map
Camping is available at the Fond du Lac County Fairgrounds for a small daily fee. The fee is $25/night with a $3 non-refundable reservation fee. Bathrooms and showers are available on the fairgrounds.
Register for campsite at the Fond du Lac County Fairgrounds.
No hotel block is reserved, but there are several hotels within a short 10 minute drive from the fairgrounds.
- Motel 6 information can be found at http://bit.ly/FdLMotel6
- Microtel Inn & Suites information can be found at http://bit.ly/FdLMicrotel
- Country Inn & Suites information can be found at http://bit.ly/FdLCountryInn
- Hampton Inn information can be found at http://bit.ly/FdLHamptonInn
- The Radisson information can be found at http://bit.ly/FdLRadisson
Other hotels are available in the area if these do not fit your needs.
What Do I Need to Bring?
- You will need to bring 1-2 does that are in heat to practice on. An estrus synchronization protocol will be provided. You will be responsible for purchasing your synchronization supplies.
- You DO need to bring a headlock/stand with you so that you can work on a doe for the hands-on portion of the class.
- You will need to bring your artificial insemination supplies.
- You are responsible for supplying your own semen.
- You need to provide your own feed, buckets, bedding, etc. to care for your goat(s) while at the clinic.
You may also want to bring a clipboard, pens, and notepaper.
Where Do I Find Goat Artificial Insemination Supplies?
If you do not already have your own AI equipment, please contact BIO-Genics at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-756-6500 to discuss your needs and to get your order in. You will need to have some minimum supplies that you bring with to class. Please order your supplies NOW so that you have them with you for class.
You can get a full kit or get some bare bones basics, but you will need your own supplies. You can order semen and AI supplies from BIO-Genics at http://www.biogenicsltd.com/index.html.
Other goat AI supplies companies include:
- Caprine Supply
- Reproduction Enterprises, Inc.
- Ag Tech
- and others
You are encouraged to purchase semen to breed your doe, we will work with you on shipping and storage until class if you do not have your own semen tank and you purchase from BIO-Genics. If you purchase from another company, you will be responsible for transport & storage of your semen for class.
Sources of Goat Semen
- Reproduction Enterprises
- B & D Genetics
- The Buck Bank
- and others
More information on goat movement in Wisconsin can be found at the Wisconsin DATCP website on goat movement. Be sure to check this information out if you are from out of state.
View Goat Movement Information on the WI DATCP website.
You may be interested in visiting LaClare Family Creamery in Malone, WI while you are in the area.
Find out more about the LaClare Family Creamery at https://www.laclarefamilycreamery.com/. The creamery features a retail shop featuring goat cheese, yogurt, and milk, all produced onsite in their vertically integrated operation. An on-site restaurant utilizes products produced on the farm and other locally sourced ingredients.