The following tools provided by UW-Extension Family Living Programs will allow you to make future financial decisions based on accurate and complete information. Putting together and following a spending plan can be overwhelming, but following these steps will let you create a plan for your personal finances going forward.
Paper and Pencil Worksheets to print and fill in:
- Includes a blank worksheet and a worksheet with suggested common expenses to help you think about your personal spending
- Good worksheet to start with if you have never written down or tracked expenses before
- 5-pages, includes financial savings goals and more extensive monthly/annual spending categories
- Includes tips for making a realistic spending plan and where to start if spending cuts are needed
- Worksheet is very detailed for those who are more aware of their monthly expenses
- Can be used as a self-study budgeting guide
- Detailed 4-pages of typical (and sometimes un-thought-of or un-reported) household expenses
- Second column available to indicate how you plan to adjust your spending to cover bills or meet financial goals
- Worksheet might be overwhelming if you have never looked at your spending before, but may help to identify “spending leaks” or the “hole in the pocket”
- A spending plan that divides monthly income into up to four pay periods
- Helpful if you trying to figure out how to spread your money out over a month or how to save up across a couple paychecks to make a car or rent payment
- Includes a one-page description on how to use the worksheet
Excel worksheets to save to your computer and fill in as you track spending:
- Use this to track your expected income and expenses against what you actually spend each month.
- A spreadsheet that can be used to list fixed expenses (rent or mortgage, car payments, etc), variable monthly expenses (costs that change each month or are only due intermittently) and discretionary expenses (items that are not necessities) to determine if you can make ends meet.
Return to the home page: Overview of Resource Materials