Regional animal science educational opportunities available to Wisconsin 4-H members. Specifically, Area Animal Science Days is a series of three day-long events held around the state in June where youth in the beef, dairy, horse, sheep and swine projects increase their decision making skills and knowledge of animals through judging and grading experiences. Events include evaluation of dairy cattle, horses and meat animals; dairy showmanship contests; hippology (the study of horses); and oral reasons workshops. In addition, each site offers a variety of workshops for small animal projects, which may include rabbits, poultry, dogs, cats or llamas.
- To increase the availability of educational opportunities in the 4-H Animal Science Projects.
- To increase decision making skills through judging and grading experiences.
- To increase the knowledge of animals through breeding and market evaluation and management information.
2019 AASD DATES/LOCATIONS:
June 18 – Polk County
June 20 – Waupaca County
June 28 -Grant County
Area Animal Science Day RESULTS:
June 18, 2019
June 20, 2019
June 28, 2019
Thank-you to the sponsors who help make AASDs possible!
- The Wisconsin 4-H Foundation
- UW-Madison Division of Extension
- UW-Madison Animal Science Department
- UW-Madison Dairy Science Department
If coaches want sample scantron sheets for youth to practice with for judging contests, here is the link to the sheets:
Dairy: Dairy Cattle Scantron
Livestock or Horse: Livestock Scantron
Visit the UW-Extension Animal Sciences website for more information: http://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/animalsciences/