April 16-20, 2020
What is Space Camp?
Space Camp is just what you think it is – it’s a camp experience where you learn and experience a ton of different aspects about life as an astronaut, working at NASA, and exploring places beyond Earth! Wisconsin 4-H Space Camp participants experience the Pathfinder Program. The Pathfinder Program is a 3 day experience where youth participate in a variety of simulated space activities, such as:
- A Simulated Space Mission (including roles at mission control, on the ISS, in a space shuttle, and on the surface of the moon) with a team of other 4-Her’s.
- A variety of Space Simulators such as the multi-axis trainer, five degrees of freedom chair, and the space shot.
- Building and launching their own model rocket.
- On-site meals and sleeping habitats simulating a real space training experience.
- Learning all about space exploration and astronaut life in museum tours guided by a Space Camp expert.
- A team quiz bowl where participants test their knowledge against others at the end of camp.
Those are just a few of the activities that youth will experience while at Space Camp. Every activity has an educational purpose with the goal of teaching kids all about space, STEM, and teamwork. All of these activities are done in a team with other 4-H youth and adults from across the state of Wisconsin. Speaking of 4-H, you might be wondering, why does Wisconsin 4-H go to Space Camp every year, when it’s something that anyone can do by going there themselves? Well, Wisconsin 4-H Space Camp is more than just Space Camp!
The Wisconsin 4-H Space Camp Experience
Wisconsin 4-H Space Camp is an educational experience where youth from across the state take a bus down to Huntsville, Alabama, for a 4 day journey. Youth get the opportunity to venture away from home to meet new friends, develop leadership and teamwork skills, and learn all about space. They are led by a team of trained Adult Advisors and Space Camp counselors. Counselors are former Space Camp participants who are outstanding leaders. Counselors lead a variety of activities on the buses and stops along the way that help keep youth engaged and help them meet new people. As a 4-H program, our goals for youth who go through Space Camp are:
- To have the opportunity to learn in an exciting environment away from school.
- To develop social skills by meeting new people and working as a team.
- To have the opportunity to learn life skills in a situation that is unfamiliar to them.
- To have the opportunity to develop leadership skills by participating in the Space Camp Counselor program.
Want to learn more about Space Camp? Are you a participant for this year looking for some information? Feel free to click on the links on the right hand side of the page to learn more!
Questions about Space Camp that you can’t find the answers to on this website? Feel free to contact Justin Lieck, Educational Programs Assistant at email@example.com or 608-263-5971. We hope to see you when we blast off at this year’s Space Camp experience!