The application period for the 2021/2022 cohort is now open! Please fill out the 21-22 YGP Interest Form today!
The YGP application includes short-answer questions about applicants’ objectives for participating in YGP, and a written recommendation from an adult involved with the youth (teacher, guidance counselor, parent/caregiver/guardian, etc). Applications and reference forms are due in the summer of 2021; date to be determined. (links to forms are below).
If you’d like application materials (e)mailed directly to particular youth, please contact Gabby.
YGP Applicant requirements:
- Dane County residents currently in grades 9-11 (who will be in grades 10-12 in fall of 2021)
- Ability to commit 6-8 hours per month for YGP responsibilities, including attending 2-3 weeknight meetings each month. Regular attendance is essential.
- Most meetings start between 5:15 and 6:00pm, and last approximately 1½ hrs.
- Due to the time frame, involvement in sports or multiple extracurriculars may conflict with ability to commit to YGP – if concerned, but interested in YGP, please contact Gabby to discuss.
- Strong interest in community engagement
- High level of maturity
- Good communication & self-expression skills (or willing to develop)
- Responsible, dependable, & self-motivated
- Positive attitude
- Interest in developing skills in leadership, professionalism, and working with adults
- Transportation to/from committee meetings in Madison (bus passes are available).
Find info on meeting locations here)
YGP seeks to recruit a cohort that reflects Dane County’s diversity in every form including geography, race, ethnicity, gender identity, ability status, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, religion, and all other identities. All Dane County youth are encouraged to apply.
*YGP applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a committee meeting before they decide whether to apply to YGP. Please click here for more details about attending committee meetings (or contact Gabby). All posted committee meetings are open to the public to attend and observe. Another strongly encouraged option is to watch a county board meeting online; all are available to watch here.
After Extension Dane County staff conduct an initial applicant screening, Dane County Extension Committee supervisors collaborate to conduct brief interviews with screened applicants, and vote to approve up to 12-18 YGP applicant finalists. In 2021, youth members will be notified of their acceptance in summer 2021, and undergo program orientation, with committee appointments, in the fall.
In 2021, youth representatives will be officially inducted into the program in the fall with a formal Pinning Ceremony at a meeting of the Dane County Board of Supervisors. After the Pinning Ceremony, the youth members begin their appointment and start serving on their assigned committees.
For a printer-friendly version of this information, download the 2021-22 YGP Description.
Preview the 2021-22 YGP Application & Reference form questions here.
2021-2022 YGP Online Application
2021-2022 YGP Online Reference Form