*Because of COVID-19, the YGP application period has been reopened – applications are due Wednesday, May 13. [Students who already submitted 2020-2021 YGP applications do not need to reapply.] Also, the 2020-2021 YGP term will be shortened, and will run from Sept 2020-May 2021. Any other changes or updates will be posted as soon as possible.
The YGP application includes short-answer questions about applicants’ objectives for participating in YGP, and a written recommendation from an adult involved with the youth (teacher, guidance counselor, parent/caregiver/guardian, etc). Applications and reference forms are due Wednesday, May 13th, 2020 (links to forms are below).
[Note that the pre-application nomination form is no longer required. If you’d like application materials (e)mailed directly to particular youth with a message that they’ve been nominated to apply to YGP, feel free to fill out the online nomination form or download the 2020 YGP Nomination Form (know that this step is now optional).]
YGP Applicant requirements:
- Dane County residents currently in grades 9-11 (who will be in grades 10-12 in fall of 2020)
- Ability to commit 6-8 hours per month for YGP responsibilities, including attending 2-3 weeknight meetings each month. Regular attendance is essential.
- Most meetings start between 5:15 and 6:00pm, and last approximately 1½ hrs.
- Due to the time frame, involvement in sports or multiple extracurriculars may conflict with ability to commit to YGP – if concerned, but interested in YGP, please contact Javier to discuss.
- Strong interest in community engagement
- High level of maturity
- Good communication & self-expression skills (or willing to develop)
- Responsible, dependable, & self-motivated
- Positive attitude
- Interest in developing skills in leadership, professionalism, and working with adults
- Transportation to/from committee meetings in Madison (bus passes are available).
Find info on meeting locations here)
YGP seeks to recruit a cohort that reflects Dane County’s diversity in every form including geography, race, ethnicity, gender identity, ability status, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, religion, and all other identities. All Dane County youth are encouraged to apply.
*YGP applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a committee meeting before they decide whether to apply to YGP. Please click here for more details about attending committee meetings (or contact Javier). All posted committee meetings are open to the public to attend and observe. Another strongly encouraged option is to watch a county board meeting online; all are available to watch here.
After Extension Dane County staff conduct an initial applicant screening, Dane County Extension Committee supervisors collaborate to conduct brief interviews with screened applicants, and vote to approve up to 12 YGP applicant finalists. In 2020, youth members will be notified of their acceptance in June, and undergo program orientation, with committee appointments, in August.
In 2020, youth representatives will be officially inducted into the program in September with a formal Pinning Ceremony at a meeting of the Dane County Board of Supervisors. After the Pinning Ceremony, the youth members begin their appointment and start serving on their assigned committees.
For a printer-friendly version of this information, download the 2020 YGP Description.
2020-2021 YGP Application options:
- Word doc: 2020 YGP Application
- Pdf: 2020 YGP Application
- Online form: https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6mqtJJfsqaItKBv
2020-2021 YGP Reference Form options:
- Word doc: 2020 Reference Form
- Pdf: 2020 Reference Form
- Online form: https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4IdnYqZRmWzMXzf