Selection begins via a nomination process. Nominations can be made by any adult connected to the youth (e.g. school faculty/staff member, home-schooling teacher, youth program leader). Youth can ask adults to fill out the nomination form. Nominations for the 2019-20 cohort are due by Friday, February 15th, 2019.
YGP Nominee requirements:
- Dane County residents currently in grades 9-11 (who will be in grades 10-12 in fall of 2019)
- Ability to commit 6-8 hours per month for YGP responsibilities, including attending 2-3 weeknight meetings each month. Regular attendance is essential.
- Most meetings start between 5:15 and 6:00pm, and last approximately 1½ hrs.
- Due to the time frame, involvement in sports or multiple extracurriculars may conflict with ability to commit to YGP – if concerned, but interested in YGP, please contact Jess to discuss.
- Strong interest in community engagement
- High level of maturity
- Good communication & self-expression skills (or willing to develop)
- Responsible, dependable, & self-motivated
- Positive attitude
- Interest in developing skills in leadership, professionalism, and working with adults
- Transportation to/from committee meetings in Madison (bus passes are available).
Find info on meeting locations here)
YGP seeks to recruit a cohort that reflects Dane County’s diversity in every form including geography, race, ethnicity, gender identity, ability status, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, religion, and all other identities. All Dane County youth are encouraged to apply.
*YGP nominees are strongly encouraged to attend a committee meeting before they decide whether to apply to YGP. Please click here for more details about attending committee meetings (or contact Jess, below). All posted committee meetings are open to the public to attend and observe. Another strongly encouraged option is to watch a county board meeting online; all are available to watch here.
Nominated youth will be sent a YGP application that includes short-answer questions about their objectives for participating in YGP, and a written recommendation from an adult involved with the youth (teacher, guidance counselor, parent/caregiver/guardian, etc). Applications and recommendations are due Friday, March 1st, 2019.
After Extension Dane County staff conduct an initial applicant screening, Dane County Extension Committee supervisors collaborate to conduct brief interviews with screened applicants, and vote to approve up to 12 YGP applicant finalists. Youth members are notified of their acceptance in April, and undergo program orientation, with committee appointments, in May.
Youth representatives are officially inducted into the program in June with a formal Pinning Ceremony at a meeting of the Dane County Board of Supervisors. After the Pinning Ceremony, the youth members begin their appointment and start serving on their assigned committees.
For a printer-friendly version of this information, download the 2019 YGP Description.