This fact sheet from Family Caregiver Alliance provides a quick and easy overview of caregiver definitions, demographics and situations from a variety of sources.
Areas covered include:
- Data on the magnitude of caregiving: caregivers make up 29% of the U.S. adult population.
- Information on gender differences in caregivers: 66% are female.
- Demographics: the average age of caregivers is 48.
- Variations by ethnicity
- Relationships between caregivers and care recipients.
- Employment status.
- Time spent caregiving by week as well as duration in years.
- Additional information on distance to care recipient, and impact on caregiver’s physical, mental and emotional health.
- Economic value and costs of caregiving.
- Special circumstances such as developmental disabilities and veterans.
- Caregiver assistance and support, including stats on receptivity to caregiver technology.