Qualifying for the Fond du Lac County Fair
The Fond du Lac County Fair is an opportunity for dairy project members to showcase their dairy project animals. In order to show Jr. Dairy at the Fond du Lac County Fair, youth must meet the following requirements:
- Have completed 3rd grade through 1 year past high school graduation
- Enrolled in a Fond du Lac County 4-H Club, FFA Chapter, Boy or Girl Scouts, Boys and Girls Club, or any other youth organization not to include athletic teams or music groups
- Attend a minimum of one fitting/showmanship workshop
For more information regarding county fair, please contact dairy superintendent Sarah Loehr at firstname.lastname@example.org or Randy Hopp at 920.296.8992.
- 2021 Dairy Barn Assignments
- Fond du Lac County Fair Fair Book – Online entries due June 12 at 11:59 pm
- Dairy ID Form – on the Fair website
- County Dairy Activity Card
Herdsmanship & Barn Assignments
Barn herdsmanship awards given each year for 4-H/FFA Dairy exhibits. The top three awards for small and large dairy clubs are sponsored by Fond du Lac County Agri-Business Council. Individual judges (not clubs) solicited by the Fond du Lac County Dairy Project Committee judge dairy herdsmanship. A Dairy Herdmanship Scorecard is available for your planning purposes.
Herdsmanship judging will take place during specific hours of the day to avoid conflicts with showing:
- Wednesday 1 pm to 9 pm
- Thursday 5 pm to 9 pm
- Friday 1 pm to 9 pm
- Saturday 9 am to 9 pm
- Sunday 9 am to 1 pm
For planning purposes, county fair barn assignments will be available after July 5.
Quality Milk Auction
Sponsored by the Fond du Lac County Holstein Breeders Association, the Quality Milk Awards & Auction was developed to reward project members with cows that have produced high quality milk. Dairy baskets will be sold representing cows with the lowest linear score during the Thursday night Market Livestock Sale. All breeds will be combined when selecting the individual cows with the lowest linear score in each age category.
The basket sale will be distributed: 25% exhibitor, 35% scholarship fund, and 40% dairy state fair fund (updated 2018).
Entry forms are available at Quality Milk Auction Entry.
Cow Classes and Linear Score Determination:
- 2-year-old cow average of the past three monthly linear scores
- 3-year-old cow average linear score for last completed lactation
- 4-year-old cow average linear score for last completed lactation
- 5-year-old cow and older average linear score for last completed lactation
- Dry cow average linear score for last completed lactation
- Cows must be on official test recognized by a breed association.
- Submit DHIA Individual Cow Report (or equivalent) highlighting the last completed lactation with an average linear score with a minimum of 5 tests.
- 2-year-olds must provide the past 3 monthly linear scores prior to fair.
- All breeds will be combined when selecting the individual cow with the lowest linear score in each age category.
- Animal must be entered and exhibited by the same person that is showing her at the fair.
- A cow cannot use the same completed linear score record used in a previous year’s Quality Milk Auction Competition.
- Tie-breaker will be determined by Somatic Cell Count Average.
Entries for the Quality Milk Awards are due to the Extension Office by Monday, July 1, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. All entries are to be submitted on the enclosed entry form. For 3, 4, 5-year-old and older milk classes and dry cow classes, submit the most recent completed (must be an OFFICIAL) lactation record with an average linear score found on the DHIA individual cow report. For two-year-olds, provide the past three monthly linear scores. Entry form, along with the DHIA Individual Cow Report(s) (or equivalent), are to be mailed to UW-Extension Fond du Lac County, 400 University Drive, Fond du Lac, WI 54935 or fax to (920) 929-3181.
For more information regarding the Quality Milk Auction, please contact chairperson Ray Halbur at email@example.com or at 920.948.3172.
Outstanding Dairy Cattle Youth Exhibitor
Any Junior Fair dairy cattle exhibitor grades 9-13 as of January 1st may apply for the Outstanding Dairy Cattle Youth Exhibitor Award. The award will recognize dairy youth who have shown exceptional involvement in the dairy project and will be presented at the 2021 Fond du Lac County Fair. Two award winners will be named, one for each category: grades 9-10-11 ($200) and grades 12-13 ($300). Gift certificates ($25) will be provided to all qualified youth who apply for the award. Cash awards are sponsored by CP Feeds and the Dairy Youth Fund.
Any exhibitor who wishes to apply for the “Outstanding Dairy Cattle Youth Exhibitor” must submit the attached application to Extension Fond du Lac County by Thursday, July 1, 2021. Awards will be announced during the dairy herdsmanship awards, Sunday of the Fair.