The Green Cheese model is a partial LCA of integrated dairy and bio-fuels production systems. This project idea grew out of discussions between:
- Progressive Dairy Producers;
- Who understand the need to prepare for carbon trading and other opportunities created by increased concerns about energy security and the environmental consequences of energy use,
- The Wisconsin department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, and
- The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources;
- The state agencies that will provide regulatory and/or assistance programs for dairy farms moving toward more sustainable production practices, and
- Faculty at the UW college of Agricultural and Life sciences;
- Engaged in research, teaching and outreach activities related to sustainable dairy production systems.
All of these organizations have provided input into the design of the project and the need for and utility of the tools to be developed.