Commercial Pesticide Applicator Training / Review Sessions
For information about a training, such as directions and times, click the appropriate training date below.
- $30 pre-registration fee is required. This $30 fee is IN ADDITION TO the fee you pay to get your manual (whether you got a printed manual, PDF manual or online course).
- Failure to pre-register for a live training/ review session may result in not getting a seat or being able to take the exam and mean a very grumpy ride back to work.
- Live training/review sessions are supplemental. They are not required if you are going to self-study and take your exam at a DATCP testing center.
- To register for any of the live training / reviews below, please go to the PAT Store and choose the category you wish to find a review session for.
- Training season typically runs from January to May.
Category 1.1 – Field & Vegetable Crops
Certification testing temporarily suspended. The Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection Release. “If your certification expires January 31-May 31, 2020, DATCP is extending your certification until June 30, 2020. You can continue to operate as a certified applicator until June 30, 2020.”
“New applicators who are eligible can submit a 30-Day Temporary Trainee Registration Form to work under the supervision of a certified applicator. The 30-day limit will be extended until June 30, 2020, for all temporary registration applications received March 18-June 1, 2020.”
Due to the Covid-19 issue, the University of Wisconsin – Madison has issued a cancellation of all events having more than 50 people [ for more information follow this link see events: Covid19.wisc.edu ] and travel till at least May 15th. This will affect several training coming up in the near future. The following training are cancelled: –
March 19 – Cat 1.1,
March 26 – Cat 3.0,
April 1 – Cat 3.0,
April 2 – Cat 1.1,
April 8th – Cat 3.0,
April 22nd – Cat 3.0,
April 23rd – Cat 2.0
April 29th – Cat 3.0
May 14th – Cat 6.0
The UW PAT Program will be issuing a $30 refund on the live training. Rescheduling options are being investigated, but are unlikely for this year.
The UW PAT Program apologizes for any inconvenience.
February 17 – Wisconsin Dells – Chula Vista Resort, 1000 Chula Vista Parkway, Wisconsin Dells, 53965. In partnership with the Wisconsin Custom Applicators Inc. conference. Information – FULL
February 20 – Oshkosh – La Sure’s Banquet Hall, 3125 S Washburn St, Oshkosh, WI 54904. Information – CLOSED
March 19 – Arlington Research Station Events Center – N695 Hopkins Rd, Arlington, WI 53911. Information – Covid – 19 Cancellation
April 2 – Eau Claire – Metropolis Resort, 5150 Fairview Drive, Eau Claire, WI 54701. Covid-19 Cancellation
Category 2.0 – Forestry
January 24 – Stevens Point – Portage County Courthouse Annex Building, 1462 Strongs Ave, Stevens Point, WI 54481. CLOSED
Category 3.0 – Turf and Landscape
March 11 – Pewaukee – Ingleside Hotel, 2810 Golf Rd. Pewaukee, WI 53072. Information FULL
March 26 – Arlington Research Station Events Center – N695 Hopkins Rd. Arlington, WI 53911. Information Covid-19 Cancellation
April 1 – Eau Claire – Metropolis Resort, 5150 Fairview Drive, Eau Claire, WI 54701. Information Covid-19 Cancellation
April 8 – Green Bay – Comfort Suites / Rock Garden Conference Center, 1951 Bond St, Green Bay, WI 54303. Information Covid-19 Cancellation
April 22 – Pewaukee – Ingleside Hotel, 2810 Golf Rd. Pewaukee, WI 53072. Information – Covid-19 Cancellation
April 29 – Pewaukee – Ingleside Hotel, 2810 Golf Rd. Pewaukee, WI 53072. Information – Covid-19 Cancellation
Category 5.0 – Aquatic & Mosquito
January 16 – Madison – Dane County Extension Building. 5201 Fen Oak Dr, Madison, WI 53718-8827. CLOSED
Category 6.0 – Right-of-Way
February 6 – Madison – Dane County Extension Building. 5201 Fen Oak Dr, Madison, WI 53718-8827. CLOSED
April 23 – Merrill – Lincoln County Building Boardroom, 801 N. Sales St., Merrill, WI 54452 Information – Covid-19 Cancellation
Category 7.1 – Structural
February 11 – Wisconsin Dells – Kalahari Resort, 1305 Kalahari Dr, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965. In association with the Wisconsin Pest Control Association. Information – Register for Certification Review and Test
May 14 – Milwaukee – Town of Lake Water Tower, 4001 S 6th St, Milwaukee, WI 53221. Information – Covid-19 Cancellation
Registration: Preregistration and a $30 fee are required to attend a training session. Walk-ins are highly discouraged and attendee may not get a seat. Preregistration to attend a training session is valid only if you already have your copy of the current training manual (book, PDF or online course) with intact Training Registration Form. This form is in the printed manual or sent to you if you order the PDF or online course. You must have this form to have your test processed. Lost forms will cost $10 to replace.
When to Preregister: To preregister for a training / review session ($30 fee) and to receive your training manual ($47 printed manual, $35 PDF or $50 online course where available), please do so at least two working days before your training session (see specific training session). However, since the review sessions do not cover all the information in the manual, it’s a very good idea to get your study material much earlier and do some studying on your own before the review session.
How to Preregister: You have two options:
1) Go online to the PAT Store and pay by credit card. Paying by credit card is available ONLY online; we CANNOT accept credit card orders over the phone due to security reasons.
2) Fill out the Commercial Applicator Training Registration Form. Please fill out the form and mail back to the PAT program.
Make check payable to: University of Wisconsin-Extension. Mail check and form to:
Pesticide Applicator Training (PAT)
Department of Agronomy
1575 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1597
Delivery: Usually within 3 business days after we receive your online credit card order or your form and check in the mail, your manual will be delivered by UPS to the address that you provide when your place your order.
Training / Review Session Confirmation: If you ordered your training session with your manual, you will receive a receipt with the address of the training session along with your manual. If you ordered your training session alone, we will mail your receipt with the address when we receive the order. Clicking the specific training session (list above) will also provide directions. On rare occasions, due to severe weather or for reasons out of our control (e.g. bankruptcy of the venue) the session can change location or be cancelled. Please check with this web site to confirm business as usual before travel.
Training / Review Sessions:
- Review sessions last approximately six hours (before the 90-minute exam).
- Sessions begin at 8:10 a.m. and conclude around 2 – 2:30 p.m. (some sessions end earlier some later).
- The certification exam is given immediately after the training session has completed.
- We can not cover everything in the manuals in that period of time. The sessions are geared to be a review before the exam. Training sessions DO NOT replace the need to read, study and learn the information in the training manual.
- Lunch is not provided.
- If you wish, you may bring a standard calculator. Cell phones will not be allowed during the test.
- A photo ID will be required to take the exam (state rule). You will also need your Social Security Number (state rule).
- Remember, the $30 training session fee is just for the review session itself. It does not include your manual. Likewise, paying for your manual does not automatically include a training session. These are separate fees!
- The training session fee is nonrefundable; however, if you cannot attend but you contact our office at least 48 hours before the session is held, the fee is either transferable to another person you name and / or held as credit to attend a future session.