How To Get Started

How do You Get Certified and Licensed?

In Wisconsin you must pay a Certification Fee to receive a current edition training manual: either in print form, an electronic PDF manual or online course (which includes a PDF manual) before you can become certified in any pest control category or subcategory. Need to review what “certification” means? Go to the main Certification page.

► For more information regarding the different pest control certification categories, see the different manuals on the Certification Categories page.

Flow Chart: Quick Guide to Certification

Don’t know whether to order a printed manual. PDF manual or online course? Check out this podcast for an introduction to these choices:  What Should I Order?

Video:  How Do I Place an Order?

Following is a checklist to help guide you to getting certified and licensed in the State of Wisconsin:

  1. Identify if you need to be certified or not (info).
  2. Determine if you are a private or commercial applicator [ info ].
  3. Identify which category you need to be certified in [ info ].
  4. Go to the PAT Store to purchase training fees. Training fees come with either a printed manual ($47), PDF e-manual ($35) or when available, an online course ($50).  If you want to pay by check, mail in your order form with check.  [ Commercial Order Form /   Private Order Form ]
  5. Study the material.
  6. Schedule an exam with DATCP. [ Schedule an exam ] [ DATCP Testing Centers ] Do not come to the UW Campus in Madison (address where the book was published), we do not give the test.
  7. You must present the filled out Training Registration Certificate to DATCP at time of testing to have your exam graded. The certificate is folded and taped to between the front cover and the first page of your printed manual. We will send you the certificate via UPS if you order a PDF manual or online course.
  8. Pass the exam and receive your certification results and card.  Certification is good for 5 years.
  9. Apply and pay for a license with DATCP. (Private applicators do not need a license. Some commercial applicators (e.g., public school employees) need a license but do not have to pay the fee. Check with DATCP if you have questions about licensing and fees).