Private Applicators

Man in grey jacket pointing to a pull down screen while a man in a white shirt talks to an audience.

*Agricultural Commodity

Means any plant or part of a plant, animal or animal product produced by a person primarily for sale, consumption, propagation, or other use by humans or animals. “Agricultural commodity” includes industrial hemp. [ 94.67(2) ]

**Restricted-Use Pesticide

RUPs have the potential to cause unreasonable adverse effects to the environment and injury to applicators or bystanders without added restrictions. Only a certified applicator can apply a Restricted-Use Pesticide. [ EPA information on RUPs ]

A Private Pesticide Applicator is a person who uses pesticides to produce an agricultural commodity* on property they or their employer owns or controls. Private applicators only legally need to be certified if they want to use a Restricted-Use Pesticide**.

To become certified in Wisconsin you start by purchasing the training registration (comes with printed manual).  You may purchase it online at the PAT Store using a credit card or if you prefer through the mail using this order form. Not sure if you are a Commercial or Private applicator? Go to the Certification page to get more information.

As a Private Applicator you can either self-study on your own and schedule a test with a participating county Extension office, create an account and test with Pearson Vue or attend a Private Applicator Training program with test.

Want to know if there is a training with test near you? Go to the Extension PAT Events Calendar. Looking for a participating County Extension Office giving the test? Participating County Extension Offices.

Unfortunately, we CANNOT take credit card orders over the phone.
Due to the fact that manuals cannot be resold, there are no refunds on manuals that have been issued.
If you order before 2:00 p.m. you will likely receive your order within 2-4 business days.

Support Extension