This page contains resources and links that are useful for Plan Commissioners in Winnebago County. Many of these materials could be used for a local Plan Commissioner Orientation.
VIDEOS! The UW-Extension Center for Land Use Education has created short educational videos covering the basics of planning and zoning. Click here for videos about:
– Introduction to Zoning
– Roles and Responsibilities of Boards, Committees and Staff
– Conditional Uses/Special Exceptions
I. Basics, Roles, Responsibilities – Building the Capacity of your Plan Commission
- Town Plan Commission Sample Ordinance (2001) – a sample ordinance to help you set up or review the responsibilities of your Town Plan Commission
- Update Town Plan Commission Sample Ordinance (2008)
- Village Plan Commission Sample Ordinance -sample ordinances to help you set up a or review your Village Plan Commission ordinance
- Plan Commission Roles and Responsibilities(232 KB) – two page sheet with brief explanation of roles.
- Recruiting and Retaining Qualified Plan Commissioners – a fact-sheet on the hows and whys of retaining a qualified plan commission.
- Plan Commission Handbook– this link will take you to the CLUE website to download the Plan Commission Handbook and new Zoning Board Handbook (for Boards of Appeal and Adjustments)
- Plan Commissioner Duties and Conduct (3 pages, 28.5 KB) – A brief overview of Plan Commissioner duties and responsibilities developed by Winnebago County Planning and Zoning Department. 2005.
II. Running Effective Meetings
- Open Meeting Law – an overview fact-sheet
- Public Hearings Information(3 pages, 3.29 MB) – excerpt from the Handbook for Wisconsin Municipal Officials
- Agenda and Minutes for Local Government – a power point presentation that overviews local government agendas and minute taking.
- Chapter 2 of the Plan Commissioner Handbook (pdf)
III. Public Participation
- Public Participation in Comprehensive Planning – A comprehensive guide for public participation for all sorts of planning activities.
- International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) Spectrum of participation
- UW Stevens Point Center for Land Use Education (CLUE) Website – lots of links to resources and publications!
- UW Extension Local Government Center – link to a page of factsheets, publications and presentations related to local government operations.
- Planning Commissioner Journal – a national organization providing on-line resources for plan commissioners. You can find subscription information here too!
Plan Commissioner email updates – on a periodic basis, I will send email updates and resources to plan commissioners throughout the county on land use or planning related topics. If you would like to be added to this list, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.