Module D Download (PDF)
Responsibility for repairs and upkeep are common communication topics between landlords and tenants. This module covers who is responsible for maintenance, repairs, and care while emphasizing the rental team concept and importance of good communication. The module includes information on developing a plan for caring for the rental unit and how to deal with specific pest control issues and lead paint.
Participants will also learn ways to protect their property and their security deposit through use of the Check-In/Check-Out Rental Condition Checklist, recordkeeping and rental insurance.
Instructors are encouraged to investigate and identify where to obtain local housing codes for participants’ use.
Instructors are also encouraged to review the references listed below to become familiar with upkeep and repair responsibilities for renters.
- Wisconsin Administrative Code ATCP134, Residential Rental Practices
- Landlord Tenant Guide
- Tenant Sourcebook, Legal Action of Wisconsin
- Tenant Resource Center
- Lead-Safe Wisconsin
- Know about Lead When Purchasing or Renting a home
- Free Couch? Think Twice About Bed Bugs
- Insect ID from the UW Department of Entomology
- HUD’s Healthy Homes Program
- Energy Efficiency Tips for Renters
- Energy Efficiency Tips for Landlords
- Understand tenant responsibilities and those of landlords for repairs and upkeep.
- Learn ways to protect their property and security deposit.
- Gain an increased appreciation of the financial and personal value of caring for rental living spaces.
References to websites and resources used in this publication are not an endorsement of one product over other similar products.
The “Who’s Responsible for Maintenance, Repairs and Care?” module was prepared by Michelle Tidemann, Fond du Lac County Family Living Educator and Judy Knudsen, Brown County Family Living Educator.
Family Living Education Rent Smart 2017 Team: Bev Baker, Racine County; Lori Baltrusis, Sawyer County; Libby Bestul, Outreach Specialist; Jackie Carattini, Marathon County; Deborah Hewko, University Services Associate; Christine Kniep, Winnebago County–Team Co-Chair; Judy Knudsen, Brown County; Gail Peavey-Sederski, Polk County; Sarah Siegel, Wood County; Joan Sprain, St. Croix County; Michelle Tidemann, Fond du Lac County–Team Co-Chair; Chelsea Wunnicke, Richland County