Fond du Lac County (maps) is located in East central Wisconsin at the base of Lake Winnebago. It is a leading agricultural county in Wisconsin and ranks as the nation’s 26th largest dairy county (2007 Ag Census). Crops grown in the area are primarily used to feed the county’s 55,000 dairy cows. In 2012, Fond du Lac County had 279 dairy herds with an annual average production of 23,600 pounds per cow. Cash receipts from farm marketings total over 200 million dollars. Primary crops include corn for grain (70,000 acres), corn for silage (47,000 acres), alfalfa (60,000 acres), soybeans (45,000 acres), winter wheat (15,000 acres), commercial sweet corn (8000 acres), and green peas (5500 acres).
Soil types in the county range from clays to loams (NRCS Web Soil Survey). Average corn yields are about 160 bushels per acre but many soils on the western side of the county routinely average well over 180 bushels per acre. The limestone based, well-drained soils located throughout much of the county are ideal for growing high yields of alfalfa. The area averages about 32 inches of precipitation per year (Fond du Lac weather outlook).
The agricultural infrastructure in Fond du Lac County is solid. There are competitive markets for every major livestock and crop commodity. Additionally, there are numerous dealers for seeds, feeds, equipment, fertilizers, and most agricultural services (nutritionists, A.I. technicians, crop consultants, farm credit officers, etc.). The local newspapers and radio stations place a priority on agricultural news.
Important Fond du Lac County Agricultural Links
Fond du Lac County Agriculture: Value and Economic Impact (2011) A study that outlines the impact that agriculture has in Fond du Lac County. Also check the 2012 Ag Census below for additional economic information.
2012 Fond du Lac County Agriculture – a new factsheet highlighting FdL Co. Agriculture
- Federal 2012 Ag Census Information for Fond du Lac County
- Wisconsin Agricultural Statistics
- Fond du Lac County Town Land Use Data – from the UW Program on Ag Technology Studies (PATS)
Government Regulatory Agencies
- Fond du Lac County Farm Service Agency (FSA)
- Fond du Lac County Land and Water Conservation Department
- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection
- Wisconsin Farm Center – financial, legal, regulatory and counseling advice from WDATCP
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
- Wisconsin Natural Resources and Conservation Service
- Fond du Lac
- Mount Calvary
- The Fond du Lac Reporter – Fond du Lac’s daily newspaper
- Action Advertiser
- KFIZ AM 1450 (Fond du Lac)
- WRPN AM 1600 (Ripon)
WFDL AM 1170 (Fond du Lac/Waupun)