Youth Dairy Information and Forms
2019 Outstanding Dairy Exhibitor Point Sheet (updated January 21, 2019)
Wisconsin State Fair dates are August 2-12, 2018. More information on entry information will be coming soon.
Badger Dairy Camp Registration Now Open!
2019 Badger Dairy Camp – dates set for June 6-8, 2019. Registration coming soon!
2018 Holstein Breeders Scholarship
Applications are now being accepted for the 2018 Kewaunee County Holstein Breeders Scholarship.
Applicants must be currently enrolled or a high school senior intending to enroll as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s Program at any college or university; or a two-year Associate Degree Program at any technical college or Short Course. The applicant must plan to pursue further education within the next school year.
This scholarship is open only to Ag-related careers.
Applications should be completed and postmarked on or before June 1, 2018, to:
N4617 County Rd V
Luxemburg, WI 54217.
Youth Producer Guide to the Veterinary Feed Directive – Effective January 2017
The Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) rules enacted in October 2015 require livestock farmers to correctly apply VFD Orders and retain all VFD Orders for two (2) years, producing them for inspection when requested to do so.
VFD Orders may be stored electronically or as hard copy paper.
What is a VFD? A VFD is a written (nonverbal) statement issued by a licensed veterinarian in the course of the veterinarian’s professional practice that authorizes the use of a VFD drug or combination VFD drug in or on an animal feed. This written statement authorizes the client (the owner of the animal or animals or other caretaker) to obtain and use animal feed bearing or containing a VFD drug or combination VFD drug to treat the client’s animals only in accordance with the conditions for use approved, conditionally approved, or indexed by the FDA. A VFD is also referred to as a VFD order.
What Should Be on a VFD Order?
This information is required on a lawful VFD order:
- veterinarian’s name, address, and telephone number;
- client’s name, business or home address, and telephone number;
- premises at which the animals speciﬁed in the VFD are located;
- date of VFD issuance;
- expiration date of the VFD;
- name of the VFD drug(s);
- species and production class of animals to be fed the VFD feed;
- approximate number of animals to be fed the VFD feed by the expiration date of the VFD;
- indication for which the VFD is issued;
- level of VFD drug in the feed and duration of use;
- withdrawal time, special instructions, and cautionary statements necessary for use of the drug in conformance with the approval;
- number of reorders (reﬁlls) authorized, if permitted by the drug approval, conditional approval, or index listing;
- statement: “Use of feed containing this veterinary feed directive (VFD) drug in a manner other than as directed on the labeling (extralabel use), is not permitted”;
- an affirmation of intent for combination VFD drugs as described in 21 CFR 558.6(b)(6); and veterinarian’s electronic or written signature.
- For more information about the VFD, visit http://www.fda.gov/safefeed
Download the 4 page pamphlet here: Veterinary Feed Directive 2017 or here: https://uwmadison.box.com/s/yo8dga5ajltsgk06fs9ogiqqpukoz2ek . Please note that this is the most current information we have been provided at this time and can be subject to change.
Watch an information video here: https://youtu.be/j0SpgprhG9c
Additional Resources on VFD
If you have any questions regarding Agriculture in Kewaunee County, please contact:
Kewaunee County – UW Extension
810 Lincoln Street
Kewaunee, WI 54216
Office Hours: M-F, 8 am to 4:30 pm
Erin Dahle – Program Assistant
Phone: (920) 388-7141