Volunteer Management – Training
The process of stimulating and preparing volunteers to acquire knowledge and to develop attitudes and skills necessary to enable them to be successful in their volunteer roles. This includes ongoing training through a variety of delivery methods.
Staff Development Tools:
- Wisconsin Volunteer Development Website This web site developed by Wisconsin includes a variety of guidelines, tools and resources for staff. It is updated periodically.
- Wisconsin began required annual volunteer leader trainings for 4-H clubs in 2008. At minimum, one volunteer from each club must attend. The same lesson is taught by county staff across the state. Teaching dates are posted so volunteers with schedule conflicts could travel to a neighboring county. The session is also taught at the Statewide Volunteer Fall Forum Conference, where there is a delegate from each county. Those delegates are invited to co-teach the session with the county staff person.Annual Volunteer Training 4-HMeetings that Shake Rattle and Roll and Annual Volunteer Training Safe and Effective Club Meetings
- Volunteer Training Menu and Volunteer Training by Role – These resources from Minnesota are designed for staff as they create training plans for and with volunteers. For access to training materials, contact Becky Harrington, firstname.lastname@example.org.NEW
Volunteer Training Materials:
- 4-H EZ: Recipe for Community 4-H Club Success These modules are useful for youth and adult 4-H Volunteers and 4-H Extension professionals. Includes are a series of tips, resources, and activities to help make operation your 4-H Club “EZ”. The application guide allows for reflection on how to best use these resources in 4-H Community Club setting.
- Illinois 4-H Volunteer Courses – A variety of online courses for 4-H volunteers developed in Illinois. Topics include 4-H Club Program Planning, Public Presentations, Parliamentary Procedure, and Working with Committees.
- Indiana 4-H Leadership Summit – series of breakout sessions designed for youth and adult volunteers. Summit included recognition of youth scholarship recipients, Volunteer Awards of Excellence, and Tenured 4-H Volunteers
- Iowa Volunteer Training Options This Iowa Volunteer Training web site includes modules on communications, safe environments and a link to training in risk management.
- Minnesota face to face and online Training for 4-H volunteers.
- Minnesota’s Youth Worker Training
- Nebraska Volunteer Training Resources
- North Dakota Who is Generation Z Training
- Wisconsin Volunteers in Preparation (VIP) Training – This training provides an opportunity for Extension staff to provide a general orientation to UW-Extension and principles in working with youth.