The Voelker family’s dairy farm in Wisconsin has been around since 1942. However, economic pressures have led the family to sell off their remaining cows. Learn more about their history at this interview with the BBC News The plight of a US dairy farm. Video by Angélica M Casas
If you are going through a situation similar to the Volker’s family, you are not alone. Extension resources are available online at https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/farmstress/,to help farmers, families, businesses and communities remain resilient.
Resources include planning tools to make sound decisions and create a road-map for the future.
If you have suicidal thoughts and need to talk, please call this number: National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 (24 hour/day resources)
DO YOU NEED TO TALK?24 Hour /Day Resources
- Text “HOPELINE” to 741741
- Solstice House:1-608-244-5077
- NW Connections Crisis:1-888-552-6642
- 24-hour Mental Health Crisis Line: 1-608-280-2600
- National Suicide Hotline:1-800-273-8255
Limited Hour Resources
- Farm Aid Hotline:1-800-327-6243 (9:00 am – 5:00 pm Eastern Time, Monday to Friday)
- WI Farm Center: 1-800-942-2474 (7:45 am – 4:30 pm Monday to Friday; Free vouchers for counseling)