To craft a water outreach program, determine public interests in advance by gathering information about the following, and how those opinions might be influenced by age, sex, length of residence in the state, community size:
- opinion of local groundwater quality;
- personal efforts to enhance groundwater quality or quantity (by reducing chemical usage in yards, recycling used motor oil, correctly disposing of household chemicals, use of water-saving applicances, reduced household water use, reduced water use in yards, reduced water use in car washing);
- who should be responsible for protecting water quality in communitites (federal government, state government, county/city/town, individual citizen);
- how rural residents prefer to be informed about water;
- where residents have gotten information; and
- what sources of information might have changed their behavior.