Club officers lead club meetings and show leadership by keeping records and order. Each club has a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Additional officer positions may include a Historian, Reporter, Sunshine, Recreation Leader, Health Officer, Greeters, Junior Leaders and Parliamentarian. Always check your club by-laws for specific duties of each office. Remember your club meeting should always have three components: 1 – Business meeting, 2 – Education, and 3 – Recreation. For more resources about each position, please click here or call the county UWEX office.
President – Presides at all club meetings, runs meetings, and appoints committees as needed.
- So you’re the club president (8 pages, pdf) – Iowa State University
- Duties of President & Vice President (1 page, pdf)
- Common Phrases for leading a business meeting (1 page, pdf)
- Guide to Parliamentary Procedure (17 pages, pdf)
Vice President – Serves in the absence of the President and can chair committees.
- So you’re the club vice president (8 pages, pdf) – Iowa State University
Treasurer – The keeper of the club financials. Collects dues and writes checks while keeping the check book balanced. Reports at every meeting. They must also give the secretary a copy of their records for the Secretary’s book.
- So you’re the club treasurer (8 pages, pdf) – Iowa State University
- Treasurer situations (2 pages, doc)
Secretary – Keeps complete and accurate minutes of all meetings, handles correspondence and keeps the 4-H secretary’s book up-to date.
Forms and cover pages are available at the UWEX office, or can be downloaded on-line.
- Cover pages (4 pages, doc)
- Cover pages (4 pages, pdf)
- Adult Leaders Summary (1 page, pdf)
- Junior Leaders Summary (1 page, pdf)
- Club Member Summary (2 pages, pdf)
- Attendance Record (2 pages, pdf)
- Minutes* (2 pages, doc)
- Minutes* (2 pages, pdf)
- Calendar of Club Activities (2 pages, pdf)
- Club Financial Record (4 pages, Excel) – Receive from your club treasurer!
- Club Financial Record (4 pages, pdf)
- 4-H Club Evaluation (4 pages, pdf) (optional – work with your club chair on this)
*Monthly club minutes must be mailed to the UWEX office each month or e-mailed to Tara at email@example.com.
- So you’re the club secretary (4 pages, pdf) – Iowa State University
- Sample Minutes (1 page, doc) – sample of minutes to be mailed. Feel free to add your agenda as well!
- Secretary Notes (1 page, doc)
- Secretary Book Evaluation (2 pages, doc)
- Creative roll call ideas (2 pages, pdf) – Kansas State University
Recreation – The officer who plans active play, team building, games, and ice breakers for the meeting.
- So you’re the club recreation leader (4 pages, pdf) – Iowa State University
- It’s in the Backpack (14 pages, pdf)
- It’s in the Bag (25 pages, pdf)
- Games for Club Meetings (Utah 4-H Website)
Health – The officer who incorporates healthy living, themes, and education for your 4-H Club.
- Healthy Clubs – Resource List (1 page, doc)
More information coming soon… If you have any suggestions about what to add to the website, please call the UWEX office at 757-5696.