Become certified in chainsaw safety with these classes from Forest Safety Instruction. We will be hosting both a level 1 and a level 2 class in April. Classes are $120 each, please register online here. Level 1 is full!
FULL: S.A.W.W Level One (8-hour course)
Friday, April 7th from 8 am- 4 pm
Level 1 provides confidence and safety, learning the chainsaws reactive forces, focusing on open face notching, including pre-planning the fell, bore cutting, as well as understanding the hinge strength.
- OSHA Standard 1910.266
- Regulation and requirements and how they pertain to your operation.
- Hands-on OSHA application
- Proper Body Mechanics
- Body mechanics will be demonstrated and used throughout the day
- Personal Protective Equipment
- What equipment is available
- The importance and function of PPE
- Chain Saw Safety Features
- How to inspect the saw for damage
- Intro to Hands-on Sharpening
- Understanding the cutter and how it works
- Information Before Felling and Cutting Begins
- Reactive Forces and the Bore Cut
- The Face Notch & The Hinge
- Techniques for releasing limbs and spring poles under pressure.
S.A.W.W Level Two (8-hour course)
Friday, April 21st from 8 am- 4 pm
Level one is a pre-requisite to attending this training. Level 2 provides a focus on applying basic maintenance techniques to achieve maximum chainsaw performance such as filing techniques and carburetor adjustments. More Felling techniques and assessments are practiced and limbing and bucking techniques are introduced.
- Review Information Covered In Level One & Q/A
- Reducing Down Time
- Daily maintenance
- Hands on chainsaw filing
- Learning How to Take Information from the Tree
- Introduction to the Pro sight (Measuring the height of the tree)
- Segments and lean calulation
- Precision Felling Assessment
- Determining lean, weight distribution, and limitations
- Introduction to Precision at the Stump
- Introduction to wedging
- Proper notching
- Necessary hinge
- Species differences
- Practice Felling Trees
- Different species and size
Classes are $120 each, please register online here.